Here is a look at the 25 best and 25 worst ETFs from the past trading month. Traders can use this list to find prospective candidates that have deviated too far from their longer-term trends, thereby serving as potential starting points for those looking to take on either short or long positions.
Likewise, traders can also use this list to spot potential trend reversal opportunities that may offer a generous risk/reward. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques.
To get access to all ETFdb.com premium content, sign up for a free 14-day trial to ETFdb.com Pro.
- The U.S. market showed an upward trend in this month with all three major indices – the DOW, S&P 500 and NASDAQ moving higher. Market performance improved around constructive trade talks and rising oil prices.
- Several natural gas ETFs like United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG ) and iPath Bloomberg Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN (GAZ ) featured on the list of best performing ETFs as natural gas prices increased this month. Prices surged after an attack on two oil facilities in Saudia Arabia which is expected to disrupt the global oil supply.
- Many Indian market ETFs such as Market Vectors Indian Rupee USD ETN (INR ) and Columbia India Consumer ETF (INCO ) also made it to the list of monthly best performing ETFs as Indian market surged after the country’s finance minister, slashed corporate tax rates in order to boost the economy.
- Several oil equipment ETFs like VanEck Vectors Oil Services ETF (OIH ) and iShares U.S. Oil Equipment & Services ETF (IEZ ) ranked amongst the best performing ETFs as energy equipment and services segment gained by more than 9% during the month.
- Metal ETFs like Sprott Physical Platinum and Palladium Trust SPPP, iPath Series B Bloomberg Nickel Subindex Total Return ETN (JJN ) and Global X Copper Miners ETF (COPX ) also made it to the list as the metals and mining segment registered an increase of more than 6% during the month. Check out all metals ETFs here
- Several Japanese ETFs such as iShares MSCI Japan Value ETF (EWJV) and WisdomTree Japan Hedged Equity Fund (DXJ ) were present on the best performing ETF list as the Japanese market gained after the Fed’s rate cut.
To compare this month’s list with the one published on August 28, click here.
|Ticker||Name||Price||1-Month Return||1-Year Return||Leverage|
|(INR)||Market Vectors Indian Rupee USD ETN||$83.20||80.86%||113.66%||Long|
|(ULBR)||VelocityShares Long LIBOR ETN||$23.19||18.41%||-41.13%||Long|
|(NIB)||iPath Bloomberg Cocoa SubIndex Total Return ETN||$28.33||15.54%||10.86%||Long|
|(UNG)||United States Natural Gas Fund||$21.91||13.88%||-10.09%||Long|
|(GAZ)||iPath Bloomberg Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN||$33.75||12.48%||-40.80%||Long|
|(FLMX)||Franklin FTSE Mexico ETF||$22.36||12.37%||-13.83%||Long|
|(EWW)||iShares MSCI Mexico ETF||$43.73||11.93%||-14.49%||Long|
|(PGM)||iPath Series B Bloomberg Platinum Subindex Total Return ETN||$46.40||11.41%||11.93%||Long|
|(PPLT)||Aberdeen Standard Physical Platinum Shares ETF||$89.28||11.35%||12.77%||Long|
|(RZV)||Invesco S&P SmallCap 600 Pure Value ETF||$64.29||11.16%||-18.13%||Long|
|(JJN)||iPath Series B Bloomberg Nickel Subindex Total Return ETN||$70.26||10.98%||37.99%||Long|
|(PALL)||Aberdeen Standard Physical Palladium Shares ETF||$155.23||10.79%||55.60%||Long|
|(CALF)||Pacer US Small Cap Cash Cows 100 ETF||$24.74||10.73%||-15.90%||Long|
|(PLTM)||GraniteShares Platinum Trust||$9.36||10.66%||12.51%||Long|
|(OIH)||VanEck Vectors Oil Services ETF||$12.82||10.61%||-48.41%||Long|
|(BDRY)||Breakwave Dry Bulk Shipping ETF||$20.01||10.58%||-9.62%||Long|
|(KBWB)||Invesco KBW Bank ETF||$51.98||10.43%||-9.24%||Long|
|(RWJ)||Oppenheimer Small Cap Revenue ETF||$64.26||10.26%||-17.36%||Long|
|(EWJV)||iShares MSCI Japan Value ETF||$25.34||10.26%||3.60%||Long|
|(CHIK)||Global X MSCI China Information Technology ETF||$17.97||10.24%||18.23%||Long|
|(IEZ)||iShares U.S. Oil Equipment & Services ETF||$19.24||10.13%||-45.53%||Long|
|(COPX)||Global X Copper Miners ETF||$17.90||9.75%||-19.73%||Long|
|(INCO)||Columbia India Consumer ETF||$40.75||9.69%||-7.92%||Long|
- Several volatility ETFs like ProShares VIX Short-Term Futures ETF (VIXY ), iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX ) and VelocityShares VIX Short-Term ETN (VIIX ) featured on the worst performing ETF list as VIX, the CBOE volatility index declined from 19.32 to 15.35 this month. Compare and contrast the two volatility ETFs using our “ETF Comparison tool.”: https://etfdb.com/tool/etf-comparison/VIIX–VIXY/
- Many cannabis ETFs such as Amplify Seymour Cannabis ETF (CNBS) and AdvisorShares Pure Cannabis ETF (YOLO) were present in the list of worst performing ETFs this month. The cannabis market was adversely affected as a few samples did not clear tests in Nevada and from the ongoing vaping concerns. Check out our list of marijuana ETFs here
- A few Saudi Arabian ETFs like Franklin FTSE Saudi Arabia ETF (FLSA) and iShares MSCI Saudi Arabia ETF (KSA ) were the worst performing candidates losing more than 8% this month, as the market suffered heavily due to attacks on the country’s two major oil facilities.
- Several ETFs focusing on Argentina like iShares MSCI Argentina and Global Exposure ETF (AGT) and Global X MSCI Argentina ETF (ARGT ) also made it to the list of worst performing ETFs as the market suffered from a lack of confidence in the incoming government and the fact that it could opt for a default.
|Ticker||Name||Price||1-Month Return||1-Year Return||Leverage|
|(EVIX)||VelocityShares 1X Long VSTOXX Futures ETN||$5.13||-13.58%||-39.36%||Long|
|(VIXY)||ProShares VIX Short-Term Futures ETF||$19.09||-12.67%||-13.03%||Long|
|(VXX)||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||$23.29||-12.44%||-12.58%||Long|
|(VIIX)||VelocityShares VIX Short-Term ETN||$9.86||-12.36%||-12.51%||Long|
|(FNG)||AdvisorShares New Tech and Media ETF||$10.71||-12.30%||-51.58%||Long|
|(CNBS)||Amplify Seymour Cannabis ETF||$20.28||-11.01%||-16.59%||Long|
|(MJ)||ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF||$23.19||-10.12%||-46.08%||Long|
|(YOLO)||AdvisorShares Pure Cannabis ETF||$17.28||-9.92%||-30.70%||Long|
|(THCX)||The Cannabis ETF||$18.96||-9.88%||-22.79%||Long|
|(DWSH)||AdvisorShares Dorsey Wright Short ETF||$25.43||-9.50%||4.52%||Long|
|(MOM)||AGFiQ US Market Neutral Momentum Fund||$24.59||-8.49%||-0.08%||Long|
|(FLSA)||Franklin FTSE Saudi Arabia ETF||$25.19||-8.02%||5.84%||Long|
|(KSA)||iShares MSCI Saudi Arabia ETF||$29.74||-8.01%||3.08%||Long|
|(PTF)||Invesco DWA Technology Momentum ETF||$72.77||-6.93%||11.08%||Long|
|(FUE)||Elements MLCX Biofuels ETN||$5.30||-6.72%||-5.02%||Long|
|(BOUT)||Innovator IBD Breakout Opportunities ETF||$20.10||-6.08%||-18.49%||Long|
|(PTH)||Invesco DWA Healthcare Momentum ETF||$82.71||-5.41%||-14.33%||Long|
|(QMOM )||MomentumShares U.S. Quantitative Momentum ETF||$30.95||-4.88%||-6.82%||Long|
|(CLIX)||ProShares Long Online/Short Stores ETF||$50.42||-4.84%||6.74%||Long|
|(AGT)||iShares MSCI Argentina and Global Exposure ETF||$19.66||-4.69%||-15.89%||Long|
|(ARGT)||Global X MSCI Argentina ETF||$22.90||-4.62%||-17.12%||Long|
|(GNOM)||Global X Genomics & Biotechnology ETF||$13.48||-4.22%||-12.32%||Long|
|(FM)||iShares MSCI Frontier 100 ETF||$27.90||-3.76%||-2.28%||Long|
|(BTAL)||AGFiQ US Market Neutral Anti-Beta Fund||$23.31||-3.56%||17.14%||Long|
|(DTUL )||iPath US Treasury 2-year Bull ETN||$63.90||-3.55%||5.23%||Long|
|(DWAQ)||Invesco DWA NASDAQ Momentum ETF||$114.39||-3.45%||-1.27%||Long|
|(ZROZ)||PIMCO 25 Plus Year Zero Coupon U.S. Treasury Index ETF||$142.86||-3.38%||31.27%||Long|
Please note that this list is updated on a monthly basis.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
newETFs.io respects the hard work of others and gives all credit to the remarkable folks at ETFdb.com. This excerpt/article was pulled from their RSS feed; click here to view the original. Please note that on occasion, the RSS feed will not have the author. When this happens this site defaults the author to "News". Make no mistake, this excerpt/article was not created by newETFs.io, it was simply shared with you.